Dwight David Frye

Spokane, Washington, USA


Dwight David Frye is the son of Laura Bullivant and Dwight Iliff Frye. When young, he traveled extensively with his parents while they were still doing stock and regional theater together (e.g., "The Pursuit of Happiness," 1934). After his mother gave up the stage, Buddy grew up in Hollywood, where his father struggled to find minor screen work. Buddy himself appeared in at least two films for RKO in 1937, including "The Man Who Found Himself" (as a young boy injured in a train wreck), which also featured his father as a hysterical patient on a plane. Buddy was with his father on that tragic day of November 7, 1943, when Dwight I. collapsed on a bus on the way home from the movies. His father was pronounced dead shortly after. Dwight D. graduated from Hollywood High School in 1947. He and his mother, who had remarried (to actor Alexis B. Luce) moved to Bucksport, Maine. Dwight enrolled in the University of Maine in Orono, where he received both Bachelors and Masters degrees in Chemical Engineering. He performed in college and summer theatricals in Maine. After obtaining his Masters, Dwight joined the U.S. Army and was stationed in Europe. From 1958-1960, Dwight appeared with the Actors Workshop in San Francisco, California. Eventually, he moved to New York and was part of the theatrical debut of "Man of La Mancha," playing a member of the Inquisition. He also helped with backstage production. With time, Dwight switched almost exclusively to the production end. He worked as the business manager of the Repertory Theatre of Lincoln Center for two years, served as a production associate for Broadway producer Frederick Brisson, and worked for many years for Albert Marre. He was also involved on the production end of original cast and concert recordings. Dwight had serious health issues (including emphysema) for a number of years, with his ailments progressively limiting his activities in the two years prior to his death. Dwight David "Buddy" Frye passed away at the Bronx V.A. Hospital in New York on March 27, 2003.